Saturday, September 19, 2009

Muchas Booches


I did it! Burger Buddy Noelle and I ate at what is considered one of the best burger places in Columbia, MO. Here's how Booches works. Most people order, at least, two burgers because their burgers are petite, as you can see above.
They don't use plates, just square pieces of parchment paper. As for condiments, they only have mustard, ketchup, pickles and onions... no lettuce or tomato. And for the life of me, I cannot figure out why. What kind of burger is too good for lettuce and tomato?? So, being me, I just had cheese and ketchup on my burger. (For being my only condiment, they sure skimped on my ketchup!) The other bummer was their lack of fries. Again I am forced to ask, what kind of burger is too good for fries??

The quality of burger is pretty delicious and I enjoyed what I ate, but I don't think I could go back unless I was with someone who insisted on going there. I would rather have a good-sized burger and fries over two small burgers. I would rather have tomato and lettuce, than not even be given the option. It bothers me that I have to run to an ATM just to eat there, because heaven forbid they accept anything other than cash. And quite frankly, I sensed a standard of
exclusive snootiness. It was the type of place where townies or grad students go, a place where the regular customers seemed bothered by young college students. The service was mediocre, but it didn't come with a smile or kind word. Instead, I was reprimanded for taking a picture of the hard-working cook (below). Honestly, it's difficult to enjoy a burger when one can't enjoy the restaurant and this seems to be something that Booches doesn't take into account.

A burger is an American food and in America we have certain freedoms. One of those freedoms is to choose what and how we want things, especially when it comes to burgers. If a restaurant feels it is too good for basic burger accoutrements, then they better have the best damn burger with the best damn service. Not a decent tiny burger with half-assed service. To be so strict and exclusive is simply unAmerican and for this reason, I will be hard-pressed to return to this establishment. Columbia townies can have their special burger place; I'd take Culver's and In-N-Out over Booches any day!

7/10 sesame seeds... same as the McGangBang.

Peace & Burgers


5 comments:

  1. Sock it to 'em, babywoman! They just don't know how to run a business. Maybe the owners aren't that into making money.

    ReplyDelete
  2. come on, brit! some things have to be done a certain way in order to be enjoyed properly. go to booches by YOURSELF, sit AT the bar, drink a few stags, have a few burgers (with everything), and embrace the simplicity! this is one of the oldest businesses in town - if they sucked they'd be out of business, period. booches is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmm, I'll have to think about it. I don't like having to do something a certain way in order to enjoy it... I know you love it and you make a good case, I'm just not sure.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Though in my defense, the people who have heartedly disagreed have been people who live and work here, not college students. I don't like this discrimination.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with so many things that you wrote. The service is quite often lacking friendliness, and I know several people who have been overcharged, some multiple times. They make a tasty burger. I prefer to get the onions grilled; this makes it a little more enjoyable. The experience is a bit better if you sit at the bar and have a beer or two, or at a table and grab a pitcher. This being said, I've lived in the mid-MO area for twelve years now and have seen the price of the burgers increase steadily. Three dollars is just way too much for a burger that is lacking in size, no matter how tasty it may be. But yeah, if you walk in like you own the place, you'll probably be treated better, which is kinda sad.

    ReplyDelete